GP record access – Introduction
Can you relate to any of these situations?
Leaving the GP surgery, and you can’t remember all the advice you’ve been given, or some of the details of your tests and results
Wanting to understand long term changes in your blood test results
Spending a long time waiting on the phone to speak to your GP surgery to get your blood test results
Going on holiday and suddenly falling ill, and wishing the doctor in your holiday resort could see your medical records
Going to see a specialist at the hospital, and it becomes apparent that he does not know what has been happening to you since your doctor referred you to him
A nurse is asked to give treatment to a loved one in a nursing home, and she has no idea why she is giving the treatment other than being told that she needs to do it
The NHS is now giving you access to your GP record anytime and anywhere, if you have access to the internet, via the NHS App.
GP Record - why you should you choose to access it?
We believe that it is important for improved your care and your education that you are involved in your healthcare as much as possible. Advantages to you, the patient, include;
• No queuing to get results
• You can check the accuracy of your gp record
• You are empowered to become more involved in your own medical care
• It can make managing your health easier
• You or your loved one may never know when, where or why you may need healthcare, and access to your gp record
• It is completely FREE - there are no long-term commitments or hidden charges when you use the NHS App.
• It is intuitive – GP Record access is powerful - you can easily see the following [if turned on by your GP surgery:
o your GP records
o current medications
o past medications you have been on
o immunisations you have had
o blood tests
o reports of your X-Rays, CT scans, MRI scans, ultrasounds
o letters from any hospitals, or other clinics, or services you may have visited.
• There are few limits – the NHS App can be used in any setting that has internet access - in the surgery, when you go to the hospital, when you have a medication review with the pharmacist, on your iPhone or other internet enabled gadget or when you are on holiday, 1000s of miles away from home!
• It is secure – the NHS employs multiple layers of security to make sure that your account and your data remains private and secure. The software developers are constantly refining the process and ensuring it meets the highest standards of security so that you know your data is safe and secure
• We've brought together all the information you need to enable you to decide if you want access to your electronic health record as easy as possible. There is no software to install, and no complicated manual to try to understand.